As part of the infrastructure merge, I need to start using Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations to showcase, demo, and create content. That's purely the reason why I'm using it. Believe me, If I could I would still use my beloved standalone Dynamics 365 Human Resources.
The truth is that neither of the platforms are providing some functionalities that are part of the core HR processes. Of course, this is not a problem for us. Why? Because we work with Microsoft, and Microsoft loves extensibility. This is where Power Platform comes to life, and that's the main reason behind the post.
Let's extend HR capabilities within Finance and Operations using the Power Platform
The situation described below is something regular. It happens all the time. Organizations lacking a digital transformation strategy end up facing this challenge constantly. Let's see how we can help
📜 Functional scenario: A hiring manager has no clue what's going on regarding the hiring processes from the area.
💡 Functional solution: Provide an integrated experience delivering an improvement on HR capabilities to help managers understand what's going on with the hiring processes.
🛠️ Tech scenario: Customer is using the HR module from Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations, they also use Power Platform for other processes.
👨🏻💻 Tech solutions
Design a Canvas App for the hiring process including candidate information and embed it in the Manager Self-Service module.
Design a Power Page and add it to the Employee Self-Service module through the links functionality.
Solution #1: The Canvas App
1. Log into https://make.powerapps.com/
2. Select +Create, and search the templates. In this specific case, we are lucky to have a template app that solves the scenario quite simply.
3. Once you selected the template this tab will open, if you need it you can change the name. I renamed it to Our hiring processes. After
4. Make sure you are happy with the content and functionality the template is providing.
5. Keep it in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
Manager Self-Service / HR within Finance
Log into Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations and dive into Employee Self-Service/Self-Service, depending on your configuration.
2. Once the Employee Self-Service is opened, select My team.
3. Right-click near the My team tile, then select Personalize: FormTabControl
4. All the workspace will blur and a new control is opened at the top. In this control, select Personalize this page:
5. This additional control will open (I promise the effort pays off), select the three dots (...), and then Add an app.
6. Select the area of the form you wish to add the app to. In our case, it will be as pointed out in the following screenshot, next to the My information and My team tiles.
7. An additional tab will open, providing you with a couple of options: Power Apps, or Website. We want to add an app.
8. The new tab will request information to add the app.
Input context for the app
This is where we need to go back to Power Apps to gather the information. Go to https://make.powerapps.com/ Home, select the three dots next to the app, and select Details.
In the Details tab, all the information you need is displayed.
9. Go back to Finance and Operations and complete the required fields and press Insert.
10. Time to make sure this is working. Fingers crossed.
Solution #2: Power Pages
Another option is to use Power Pages. We are going to design a Power Page, and then let the link available to employees so they can do what's needed.
1. Log into https://make.powerapps.com/
2. Select +Create, Blank app, and select Power Pages website
3. Design your page, or use one of the templates. I created a site from scratch as this was my first ever Power Page. It took me a while, but I'm happy with the result so far.
4. We are going to add the link of the new Power Page to the links the employee is able to access. In the search pane look for Human Resources Parameters.
5. Under the Employee self-service tab, look for the Setup links for employees and select + New Link. Complete as follows:
6. Select Ok. The link is now available for employees to consult.
7. See the results.
See you soon!